Today being holiday for President’s Day here in USA, I was looking at cleaning the refrigerator and the pantry. It might have been years since I have discarded any fruit or vegetable for not being able to cook. Thought of posting some useful tips for eating more fruits and vegetables.
We hear it day in and day out that we need to incorporate 5 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday. I follow this rule religiously everyday except for Ekadashi day. So, here is some easy ways to incorporate lots of fruits and vegetables.
- If you make Upma for breakfast, use two cups of vegetables to 1 cup of Sooji/Rava. I use 2-3 kinds of vegetables together while making Upma. Green pepper, Peas, cabbage, potatoes.
- While making Poha/Avalakki, use again green pepper, peas, carrots and potatoes.
- Sambar – With spinach use carrot, and beans. Use Chayote, beans and carrots another variation. Spinach, sprouted beans, potatoes, carrot and beans. Mix and match 3-4 vegetables to make sambar.
- Serve fruit salad in the night with several fruits. We usually eat 3-4 times a night – Banana, Apple, Pineapple, Peach, Plum. Use pomegranate, orange as optional fruits when available.
- At least 2-3 times a month, I make Moong Dal Kosambari with carrot and cucumber.
- Every time I make chapathi and vegetable bath, I make Raita. Raita almost includes carrot, tomato, cucumber and sometimes onion. Make Saagu, it has several vegetables you can use.
- When you make vegetable bath I use several vegetables like all color capsicum, beans, peas, potatoes, methi leaves, carrot.
- What better way to eat more fruits than Smoothie. Many variations possible here also, Banana, apple, strawberries, blue berries, pineapple, peach, and many more. ( updated based on comment from Mithra Bindu)
If you have a creative mind, you can definitely include 4-5 fruits and vegetable in a day.
Look at the food section on the right for many more ideas:
Share your thoughts on how you incorporate more fruits and vegetables in your day to day cooking.