So many of you had asked for the recipe for Modaka – ಮೋದಕ prepared during Ganesha Festival. I had not prepared this one in a long long time. Last year I tried the same and it came out just delicious. We ate it with a dollop of Ghee. Yes, you heard it right, Ghee for a change.
So, here is what you require for preparing this.
Ingredients for the Coconut Filling:
- 2 and 1/2 cups freshly grated coconut
- 2 and 1/2 cups Brown Sugar, or Powdered Jaggery
- 5 Cardamom
- 2 tsp Poppy Seeds, Gasgase fried in Ghee (optional)
- In a heavy bottomed pan , mix both the Coconut and Jaggery as shown below.
- Keep stirring the mixture and make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn.
- After, 10-15 minutes, the mixture will change its color to dark brown
- If it is too think, just add 2-3 drops of water.
- Once it becomes thick, add the ground Cardamom, and Poppy seeds.
Ingredients for the Dough:
* 1 cup rice flour
* 3/4 cup water – be judicious here
* pinch of salt
* 2 tsp oil
- Boil water in a pan. When it is boiling add salt, oil.
- Slowly mix the rice flour and keep stirring.Turn off the stove.
- When it is easy to handle and still hot, keep kneading the dough.
- When the dough is well kneaded, take a small ball in your palm, flatten the edges, keep the filling and close it.
- When you have completed all of them, place in a pan and steam it in a cooker.I used the Idli stand, steamed 4 at a time.
- Place it in a plantain leaf and offer to Lord Ganesha.