Last week during Sree Krishnajanmasthami my daughter asked to be served food on Plantain leaf. We have 4 big pots which have the plants, and they are getting quite big now. So, we offered all the prasada to Lord Krishna in the leaf, and also used a few additional ones for us as well.
There were a few emails from my extended family who asked me to share the order of food items to be served during festivals and other occasions. The two images shown below are for two different occasions. The first one is served during festivals and the second one during Shradda and Paksha masa when you are performing the annual rituals for the departed souls. The food items prepared differ but the order remains the same.
Below is the items listed to be served from left to right. Also remember the plantain leaf the narrow edge comes to the left hand side, and the broad ones towards your right hand side. For festivals, marriages and happy occasions draw rangoli in front of the leaf.
- Start with salt at the left most corner.
- If you are serving Chatni or pickle, it comes next. See second image.
- All the way at the top left after salt, Channa Dal Kosambari
- Next, Moong Dal Kosambari
- After Kosambari, First Dry Vegetable Palya.
- Than comes Second Dry Vegetable Palya.
- Just below this is any sweet dish you have prepared like Laddu, Hayagreeva so on
- Right bottom towards where you are sitting, any payasa you prepare like Shavige or Vermicilli.
- Above that Thove. Both images have them shown.
- All the way left bottom, Chitranna, Veg bath or lemon rice.
- Next to the Chitranna, Papad or any fried item.
- At the very center, White Rice.
- Ghee on top of white rice and Payasa.
- Once ghee is served and the priest finished giving hastodaka, start eating the food starting from Payasa.
- Next, the Sambar or Kootu is served. Along with any fried items like papad, ambode, vada so on.
- Once we finish eating sambar, any vegetable rice prepared such as lemon rice, Vangibath, Puliyogre is served.
- Next, the payasa is served.
- Following this is Rasam with Rice and ghee again
- You ask for second servings of any vegetables and kosambari
- The Sweet dish prepared such as Laddu, Hayagreeva, Chiroti is served.
- Finally, Rice and yogurt.
- Once you are done, make sure you put a few drops of water on the salt.
- Close the leaf from top towards you so any leftover food items are covered.
- If you serve me on a plantain leaf, my leaf will be clean. I never waste anything served. Seriously.🙂
Enjoy a great tradition in our Hindu religion which is Eco friendly, less work since you don’t have to wash the plates and hygienic since you have no clue when and how those plates would have been cleaned.