I posted the benefits of using Curd (Yogurt) for Health and Beauty way back in 2012. The post if you haven’t seen it yet is linked below:
Curd (Yogurt) for Health and Beauty
I have one pot where I am growing Doddapatre – ದೊಡ್ಡಪತ್ರೆ at home. It is called Cuban Oregano in English. Botanical name is Coleus aromaticus.
As I went back to this post, I saw Ms. Deepa Mahishi had posted a recipe for the same. I followed the same steps and created this. It is just out of this world tasty.
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 4-5 black pepper
- 1-2 green chillies
- A bunch of Doddapatre – ದೊಡ್ಡಪತ್ leaves
- 1 tsp Ghee or oil
- Yogurt 2-3 cups
- For seasoning, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp urad dal, 1 sprig curry leaves, hing and 1/2 red chili.
- Wash Doddapatre leaves thoroughly.
- Fry Jeera, black pepper, green chillies, Doddapatre leaves cut into pieces in 1tbsp of Ghee.
- Once it cools down, grid it in mixer with yogurt.
- Make seasoning with Mustard, Urad dal, hing, red chilli and Curry leaves in Ghee or oil.
- Add it to the Tambuli. You can also substitute Spinach for Doddapatre leaves.
So, how should we consume this? I had it as is. No accompaniment. It is just delicious. So, can be had without anything. You can eat it with rice, and make a thicker version and eat it with Chapathi also.