Last month when I wrote about my health, Ms. Sweta wrote the following comment in my blog:
This is such an optimistic post. Must admit that I am not surprised to see how brave you are. Even in your past blog posts you have mentioned how you overcame most chronic pains by God’s grace and will power . It is very inspirational that you are looking at this positively.
Many of you wrote to me saying that my post about my health was heartbreaking but also very optimistic, and many of you even wondered how I could be so positive.
I kept wondering myself ” When did Meera change so much?”.
Just like everyone else, I was also a negative person a few years back. Anything went wrong, the blame used to always go straight to God and our Beloved Rayaru. I used to blame everyone around me, just like most of us do. I used to also go to the extent of even blaming the Country I lived on many occasions. I am literally laughing as I am typing this. I used to be the most wonderful person at work, and as soon as I entered home everything changed. I used to keep grumbling for everything.
After we moved here to US, a few, not really, many things changed around me. A few scary incidents(mostly health related) deeply changed the way I looked at life in general. Seeing how unhappy everyone is, I promised to myself I am going to change the way I live. I want to be the person who everyone remembers with a smile on their face. I wanted to be the person who spreads joy to anyone I come across.
I realized I could make a difference in this world, even if it meant for 1 person.
Here are some things I do on a regular basis to keep my positive attitude and be optimistic.
- Be happy by choice. No one in this world has everything they need. Our needs are never ever fulfilled. I just try to be happy with what I have. I can keep crying over things which could have and didn’t happen, but I choose to ignore and forget those incidents after a day, and just move forward.
- Good, Bad or Ugly Keep Positive Attitude I always attribute it to something which is going to make me strong. One clear example was my sickness last month. For weeks, I didn’t know what was wrong. It could have been anything. I kept thinking everyday, even if it is something serious, I do have a Would be Doctor in the family, a loving and caring husband, parents and siblings who cared for me, extended family who prayed for me, the best insurance and above all 100% faith in our Beloved Rayaru. This positive attitude kept me going for 99% of the time. There was of course days when I cried out of pain, and was steering towards negative thoughts, but got back on track very quickly.
- Share happiness. I have heard many people always complaining and never ever say they are happy. When you are happy and smiling, you spread the Joy to others. When you are always complaining, no one ever wants to even talk to you.
- Be inspired and inspire other people. I am not saying this to boast about myself, but I am one of the sought out Mentors at my company. Even before anyone goes to the HR department, the HR Manager was telling me she tells everyone ” Meera is not available as your Mentor”. Whether it is work, home or anywhere else, I love inspiring women in general and men as well to push themselves to do great things, and achieve success in life. I am inspired by many great people in my life.
- Believe in yourself. Swami Vivekananda Said “You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself.” This is key, no matter what you are doing, where you are working, you should be able to believe in yourself and your abilities. Also, believe in others.
- Always look for solutions. I keep telling everyone who works for me, don’t come to me with problems only, come also with 1 or 2 solutions. These solutions might not be the one I am looking for, I at least know you tried solving the problem. Same in everyday life, always look for solutions. If you build this approach, rather than dwelling on problems, you will be looking for solutions.
- Last but not the least, DON’T GOSSIP. This is something which bothers me a lot. If you cannot talk to a person about the issue you have, don’t say that to anyone else. I will never tolerate when someone is saying things to me behind someone’s back, I retaliate, I know this makes me a bad person, but I don’t care. The more you gossip, the more you keep worrying about who might go and tell whom, and it becomes a vicious circle. Think not once but twice before you speak.
I just thought of sharing my thoughts, share what you do in your everyday life to stay Positive. How do you remain Optimistic? How do you stop when you see people gossip? How do you solve problems?