I love red capsicum. This Red Capsicum Upma – ಕೆಂಪು ದೊಣ್ಣೆ ಮೆಣಸಿನಕಾಯಿ ಉಪಿಟ್ಟು has such a wonderful color with the redness coming from the capsicum and yellow from turmeric.
- 2 cups Rava or Sooji or Rave
- 1 and 1/2 cups evenly chopped Red Capsicum.
- 4-5 green chillies.
- 1/4 fresh finely grated coconut ( Optional)
- 4-5 curry leaves finely chopped
- 3 tsp finely chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- sugar to taste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp Oil, and 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp channa dal, 1 tsp urad dal, 1/2 tsp turmeric, pinch of hing for seasoning
- First, in a non stick pan or any deep vessel fry the rava continuously until it turns golden brown. Make sure it doesn’t burn out. Transfer this onto a plate.
- Next, add oil. When it is hot enough add all the seasoning ingredients one after another.
- Add green chillies and curry leaves also. Add the capsicum and 3 cups of water and cover.
- Let this boil until the capsicum is cooked.
- Now add the salt, sugar. Once this boils as well, slowly add the rava.
- While you are adding rava, make sure there are no lumps, so keep stirring continuously. It should look watery when you have added all the rava.
- Now, cover the vessel, and cook on slow fire for another 15-20 minutes, once the rava is cooked, add coconut, finely chopped cilantro and lemon juice.
- Serve with chatnipudi and yoghurt. Enjoy.
P.S: Lots of other varieties of Upma are posted, check the food section.