Many of you have asked me how I prepare for one of the most exciting and beloved Festivals we have, Shri Krishna Janmashtami/Krishna Jayanthi or whatever name you wish to give this festival. It is celebrated all over the world. With the invent of internet, everyone wants to perform this festival and is looking for tips and tricks especially if you are working. Based on decades of experience I have in observing as performed by my parents and performing the festival myself since I got married, I am sharing some tips and tricks which will make it easy and not to stress out.
Remember, at the end of the day it is the Bhakthi and devotion which you can offer the Lord which is of utmost importance than the count of items you cook.
Since this year it is on a Saturday, and my daughter is joining us, it will once again be a Festival to perform with great enthusiasm and cook several dishes as well. Enough of my story right?
Attached below are some tips and tricks I follow.
I buy all items new for this and Ganesha festival. Just a habit, nothing else. I am not listing how many lbs/kgs t buy, left to your discretion. With the list below you can prepare all items listed in Recipe Section.
- Rice Flour
- Maida or All purpose flour
- Urda dal flour
- Red chilli powder
- Moong Dal
- Channa dal
- Dry Coconut Powder
- Thick Poha
- Thin Poha
- Mustard Seeds
- Butter Milk since Yogurt is not used during this vrata
I am hoping you have the daily pooja items like Haldi, Kumkum, etc etc. This list is specific for this day and in no particular order you can arrange them as you wish.
- Flowers, buy assortment of all flowers as shown below:
- Fruits, all fruits are allowed in this vrata.3. Banana plant and Leaves if available 4. Argya Items, milk, water, lemon, coin and a dry date. Keep them ready!5. Prepare all the lamps to light, Mangalarathi and aarathi using Ghee or Oil.6. Make sure you have Rangoli, if you don’t have the dry powder, use Kundan Rangoli, a chalk and draw. If even that is not available, take some printouts and use them. I have used a combination of all of them as seen below. Draw small feet of Lord Krishna from the front door.
7. Prepare Gejje Vastra with Kumkum. No set number here, I use one set for each idol I keep.8. Make sure you have camphor, Agarbathi and also soaked for Mangalaruthi.
9. Prepare the cradle for Lord Krishna. Once you are done giving the Argya, we rock the cradle and sing the lullaby.
10. If not anything else, just offer a coconut.
11. The detailed pooja procedure is posted at the following link: