During Nagara Chauthi pooje, as I mentioned in my previous post, we are supposed to fast. Also, we are not allowed to fry anything on this day. So, I needed to prepare something quick and easy and which wouldn’t take more than a few minutes. So, looked in the pantry and found thin poha. I remembered that my Mom used to make Mosaru Avalakki during Shri Krishna Janmasthami , and we loved it all.
So, here comes the recipe for Mosaru Avalakki which can be prepared in minutes when you are fasting. Mosaru is yogurt and Avalakki means Poha.
- 2 cups thin Poha – Thelu Avalakki
- 2 cups yogurt – Mosaru
- 3 green chillies very finely chopped
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves finely chopped
- 10 curry leaves finely chopped
- For Seasoning – Oil, mustard seeds, jeera, channa dal, urad dal, hing to taste
- Salt to taste
- Wash the poha in water briefly in a colander. Don’t soak the poha, since this is the thin variety it will become like a paste
- In a pan, heat oil. Add all the seasonings and when the dals turn red, add green chillies and curry leaves.
- Switch off the gas stove. Now, mix the poha. Add coriander leaves, salt.
- Make sure the pan and also the poha is completely cool, than add the yogurt. If you add the yogurt when the pan is hot, it will split.
- If the yogurt is sour, you can add milk.
Another look at the creamy, yet spicy Mosaru Avalakki:
P.S: In many houses, they don’t use channa dal and urad dal while fasting. If so, leave it out of the recipe and it should still taste good.