There are many kinds of usli made with whole beans; green gram dal, white and black variety of chick peas. These are full of proteins and are really required for us vegetarians. These are quick and simple and can be done in minutes once you have these dals soaked and cooked. There is the catch, soaking and cooking. However, you can easily do these usli’s with canned beans also. The channa, garbanzo beans are easily available in all groceries here in the US.
The ingredients required for this are also a very small number as such:
- Soaked and cooked Kadale
- 3 green chillies
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves
- 4 tsp fresh grated coconut
- 6 curry leaves finely chooped
- For seasoning: Oil, mustard seeds, haldi, hing
- Salt and Lemon to taste
- Soak the kadale overnight. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. If using canned ones, ignore this step.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, hing, haldi, green chillies and curry leaves. Fry for around 60 secs.
- Next, add the cooked kadale and mix for a few minutes. Later, add salt to taste.
- Finally, garnish with coriander leaves and coconut.
- Just before serving, add lemon juice.
Yet another look at the protein filled kadale usli.
Some important aspects to note:
- If using canned beans, most varieties are canned in a salt solution, so rinse several times before using.
- They are rich in the soluble fiber; which in turn helps to eliminate cholesterol from the body.
- They are very useful source of folate, vitamin E, potassium, iron, manganese, copper, zinc and calcium.
- Since they have high-potassium, low-sodium food they help reduce blood pressure.
- For other health benefits read this link.